Pangea Day’s History
In 2006, filmmaker Jehane Noujaim won the TED Prize, an annual award granted at the TED Conference, which honors three individuals with the potential to change the world. She was granted $100,000 and — more important — a wish to change the world. She wished to create a day in which the world came together through film. Pangea Day grew out of that wish. The event has been taken forward by Noujaim, in conjunction with TED and the Pangea Day staff, led by Executive Director Delia Cohen.
Watch Jehane Noujaim’s 2006 acceptance speech for the TED Prize
Frequently Asked Questions
• What’s on the program for Pangea Day?
Pangea Day is a 4-hour program of short film, live music and talks. You can find the lineup of films, musicians, and speakers at www.pangeaday.org.
• What time is Pangea Day?
The 4-hour program will be broadcast live to the world on May 10, 2008, 18:00 – 22:00 GMT on TV, the Web, and mobile phones and in select digital cinemas. Find your local time here >>
• How can people watch Pangea Day?
There are 7 ways to watch the Pangea Day program on May 10, 2008:
- At a Friends of Pangea Day event: Watch the program at locally organized Friends of Pangea Day events around the world, from a large Berlin theater to a bedouin camp in the Sahara. Find the full listing of events here >>
- On television (local terrestrial or cable network): Broadcasters around the world will carry the live program on May 10, 2008. Find the list of broadcasters here >>
- Online: We will be streaming our broadcast online at www.pangeaday.org.
- At one of six live broadcast locations: Pangea Day will be broadcast live from Cairo, Kigali, London, Los Angeles, Mumbai, and Rio de Janeiro. Tickets are available to some of these broadcast locations. Find more here >>
- Via commercial satellite: We will be beaming our broadcast via broadcast satellite around the world. Some approved venues with commercial downlink capabilities will be able to receive the broadcast this way. (Note: This broadcast cannot be received on home satellite dishes.) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- By mobile phone: Watch selected content from Pangea Day on your phone via Nokia’s new video-sharing site, OVI.com/pangeaday.
- In a movie theater: Cinemas around the world will carry the Pangea Day program live in digital projection. A few theaters taking part: Bryn Mawr Film Institute near Philadelphia; Cinema Paradiso in Fort Lauderdale, FL; Cinema Nova in Melbourne, Australia … learn more >>
• Who’s involved?
Pangea Day’s advisory board includes film-world luminaries such as producer JJ Abrams (Lost), actor Forest Whitaker, and musician/activist Bob Geldof. See the full list here. Pangea Day’s key global partner is Nokia. Find more about this partnership here >>
• How can I contact a local Friends of Pangea Day event in my town?
Use the global event map to find a public Friends of Pangea Day party in your area. Hosts are encouraged to invite and include local press. You can also contact Pangea Day for official comment by emailing email@example.com.
• Where can I download photos and briefing documents?
You can find film stills, photos of speakers, hosts and musicians, regional briefing documents, and much more information on our media resources site. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org for password access, subject line “Media Request”
I will be here,but my statement is this.
Your thoughts will bring thunder and your word will be LAW.!!!